Friday, April 27, 2012

Guacamole BLT Sandwiches

My son had apparently been paying better attention to a Food Network show over the weekend than I had, and told me that he had seen Guy Fieri making a BLT with guacamole.  He started begging me to make them.  He has really enjoyed the guacamole recipe I've been using, almost as much as his father and I have.  It was such a good idea! 

I had held off on giving baby any bacon.  I've been getting into the habit of buying the low sodium bacon in preparation for her tasting as well as to just make a healthier change in our diets.  I happened to have bought large tomatoes in bulk at the warehouse store as well as avocados.  So we had tomatoes sandwiches at lunch because the tomatoes were perfect for eating.  Baby apparently really liked them, because as she saw me prepping everything for the guacamole BLT's, she started to get excited about the tomatoes.  I haven't given her any leafy greens yet, because I still consider them to be a bit of a choking hazard at this age.  So she got some tomato, tortilla chips and her first taste of bacon.  She loved the bacon!



Ingredients

Guacamole
Bacon
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Bread
Mayonnaise


To make the guacamole BLT's, I made this guacamole recipe and let it set in the fridge.  I baked the bacon by placing it on a baking sheet and putting it in a cold oven, then heating to 400 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes.  While the bacon was baking, I sliced the tomatoes and set them aside.  When the bacon was done baking, I toasted the bread.  Don't skip the toasting step.  It is very important to the structure of the sandwich.  If you don't toast the bread, the sandwich will get very soggy and fall apart.  I like mayonnaise on my bread, so I smeared both mayonnaise and guacamole on both pieces of bread and then layered bacon, tomatoes and then lettuce and then second piece of bread.  Slice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment