Tuesday, May 11, 2010

San Marzano Sauce with Linguine a la Nicholas Sparks


I finished reading True Believer by Nicholas Sparks on Sunday. I really enjoyed the book. In the story, the main characters eat an authentic San Marzano pasta sauce with linguine. It sounded so simple and yet divine, that I just had to try it. All it is, is two large cans of San Marzano tomatoes, 1 stick of butter and 2 onions cut in half. Bring to a boil and then turn down to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. I cut the onions in half across the width. It smelled insane!



The San Marzano tomatoes were whole, so I thought that over the 1 1/2 hours of simmering that they would breakdown a bit and they did. I thought it was interesting to put the onions in the sauce in the large halves. I used Vidalia onions. I thought that the onions would soften up and maybe separate during the simmering. Pretty good guess! Not all of the onion separated, but enough did. I would have never put onions in like that, except that the character of the book stated that dicing the onions would ruin the sauce that she learned to make from her restaurant owning grandmother. The onions had a texture that no store bought sauce could match! It was so good! Apparently, I was raving about it through dinner...at least that what my daughter said!


I served the pasta with a salad and biscuits. I will definitely be making this again!

4 comments:

  1. WOW!!! So easy- yet soo gourmet at the same time! I will have to do this one!!! over my brown rice pasta of course...
    who said you were raving? Clar? you are allowed to! I say.
    ps- LOVE the Library thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Fab!!! I have some leftovers that we need to use up soon. I'm actually considering making this to freeze the extra. Jarred sauce just can't compare!

    I need to add more to the Library thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try this too. Mimi

    ReplyDelete