Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sea Salt Caramel Hot Chocolate Microwave Brownie

"I'm having a bad, bad day!  It's about time that I get my way!  Steam rolling where ever I see, Huh!  Despicable Me!"  That song (from the movie Despicable Me) popped in my head as I was getting prepared to write this particular post.  Today just seemed to be an insanely ridiculous day for me.  We started a Unit Study on Germany this week.  Under normal circumstances, I think it would have been a good thing.  However, why did I chose to do this new experience during a very busy week?  I don't know, maybe I'm insane.  Maybe I just didn't think it through, what this week already held, but wanted to do the study, because I had been preparing for it, had books from the library and just wanted to get started.  Start it we did, on Tuesday. 

Let me explain.  This week is sandwiched by 2 birthdays in our family.  That makes it busy already.  Plus, my oldest child was diagnosed with Ehler's Danlos Syndrome last summer - which will be a post all its own soon - which led to her need for reconstructive knee surgery in February and physical therapy 3 times a week for about 12 weeks following.  Which means I am currently taking her to PT 3 times a week right now.  That makes it a little bit busier.  Plus, I went to a bridal shower this past Sunday, that please understand, I really, really, really wanted to go to and did and am glad that I did.  And, tomorrow night the kids and I are going to do our very best to make it to the showing of Much Ado About Nothing, that our friend is in.  Tonight is clogging practice for all but the baby and since my son made it through the tryouts for the big dance they will be performing at Garden State Stomp, he has practice a little bit longer tonight. Then, I decided that I wanted to make 1 gallon of yogurt this week instead of half a gallon, which means that this morning I was informed we were on our very last gallon of milk.  And I needed printer ink for today's school needs and a standard sized stapler, because my mini stapler wasn't big enough for one of the things we made as part of the unit study.  That just set the morning off on the wrong foot for me.  I am in the process of getting us back into a daily schedule and boy am I glad about that!

So anyway, have you ever noticed that when one person is experiencing stress or frustration, it doesn't take long for those around them to be affected by it too?  Yes, that means that this morning ended up being a bit frustrating for half of us. Fast forward to this afternoon, after we had made it through the bare minimum that I wanted us to accomplish today, we are having some sanity time.  Oldest is upstairs reading.  All but the baby has had an opportunity to burn some energy with the Wii Fit and Just Dance 3.  Me?  I needed to resort to some chocolate.  But, the peanut butter cups just weren't cutting it and I didn't want to eat the whole bag.  That wouldn't be good, would it?  I sat down and took a look at Pinterest and struck gold!  Peanut butter and chocolate are tops on my list, but they can't beat ooey gooey chocolate warmth, unless they are part of that ooey gooey chocolate warmth. 

I found this recipe and remembered that I had bought some Sea Salt Caramel hot chocolate at Target recently.  Salted caramel is right up there with peanut butter for me these days.  Off to "work" I went making my brownie. 





Ingredients

6 Tablespoons Sea Salt Caramel Hot Chocolate mix
4 Tablespoons all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons canola oil or melted butter
3 Tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Handful of chocolate chips

Directions

Using a fork, mix the chocolate mix and flour in a mug or small bowl.  Stir in the oil, water and vanilla until all of the ingredients are wet.  Mix in the chocolate chips.  Microwave on high for 60 seconds.  The center should be molten.  If the center is not cooked enough, continue to microwave for 10 more seconds at a time, not going beyond 30 seconds extra.  Cool for a few minutes.

Inspired by Hot Chocolate Microwave Brownie by alli N' sons.





It was a little piece of heaven and worked wonders for me!  I'm in a much better mood.  Isn't it amazing how chocolate can do that?


Now, I totally intend on finishing the unit study, as well as doing more of the studies in this geography series.  The kids have been learning a lot and we've enjoyed most of what we've done so far.  I just need to ease up on myself and realize that we may not be able to complete it in a week, until my daughter has completely healed and recooperated from her surgery.  We may need to break it up a bit.  We will be doing the study on United Kingdom soon as well as the companion study for 2012 Summer Olympics.

Go ahead and make yourself one of these tonight.  You know you want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment