Thursday, December 22, 2016

New Christmas Traditions

For approximately the past four or five years, we've been doing Christmas based on the Wise men's gifts to the Baby Jesus.  We had some friends who had been doing Christmas like the Wise men for several years and I liked what I heard about it.  Gold is a gift that is special or precious to that person.  Frankincense is a gift for worship.  And Myrrh is a gift for the body.  The first year the kids were a bit unsure about the change.  They liked getting lots of stuff at Christmas.  I felt like it was too much and I was spending money on stuff that got tossed aside after a little while.  That made it seem even more expensive.  They felt like they were going to get gypped.  Our oldest was more accommodating than the younger ones.  However, after they opened their gifts that year, they started coming around.  They have enjoyed the past few years and even get excited about what they could be getting.  This change has helped with my shopping because it becomes more focused on something meaningful for each person rather than just getting something because its at a supposedly cheaper price on Black Friday.  I'm purchasing less trivial items.  Some of those years I've knitted a gift or two too. Plus the kids have become less materialistic.  That has made it all worthwhile!

This year we decided to add another new tradition.  I used to buy a gift for each child from their siblings.  This year we decided to have them draw a sibling's name.  The rule is that they have to make a gift for the person they drew.  They have been challenged and they have been excited!  It has added an element of time for me as I act as mentor and teacher for them.  They all came up with their own ideas of what they wanted to do and took great consideration of the person they drew.  Some are making gifts from the kitchen while others are crafting their gifts.  They have been trying hard to keep their secrets and some have been bluffing about who they drew!  What I find really hilarious is that one of them thinks they know who everyone drew!  I just asked her her last suspicions and they were wrong.  I'm trying to figure out if it is really what she thinks or if she's testing me.  I can't wait to see her expressions on Christmas morning!  They are all anxiously anticipating Christmas and hoping that their gift is special!  What do I like about this new tradition?  It is teaching them a skill that they will need in their future when money is tight.  Plus I think it is going to build memories and relationship.  Aside from celebrating the birth of Jesus, I think that these are some of the most important things about Christmas.

Is there an old or new tradition that is special to you?

2 comments:

  1. I am really grateful to you as you shared this. I am recently developing an app sugar apple fruit which is you might be interested to look on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent article. Keep writing such kind of information on your blog.
    I'm really impressed by your blog.
    Hello there, You have done an incredible job. I’ll certainly Digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
    I am confident they will be benefited from this website.

    Best Meat Slicer Under 200

    ReplyDelete