Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Why Did God Let Flies On The Ark?

I'm sure you've seen the cute signs and magnets that ask "Why Did God Let Flies On the Ark?"  I've always chuckled at them because let's be honest, flies are irritating.  And it is not just flies, but mosquitoes and other such bugs or insects.  However, after looking more at nature through the curriculum we are using, I realized something.  Flies actually do serve a purpose.

We use CNN Student News for our current events.  Today's episode talked about the decline of giraffe and frog populations.  The scientist in the segment takes recordings of the sounds of the geographical area he is researching.  He's able to tell if there is a decline in population just from the recordings and comparing them from one year to another year.  His research got me to thinking about how the decline of a species can be affected by changes in the environment and food sources.  What do frogs eat?  Insects.  He's seen a decrease in the frog population.  Hmm...  Is the environment changing?  Is there a change in the food source?  Or is there something else that is the cause of their decline?  I certainly don't know.  I'm sure he's trying to figure it out. Bats also eat insects.  Unfortunately, there is apparently a decline in bat population too.  But that is being attributed to a disease causing fungus and wind turbines.

Now I'm sure that I learned about this in school, but I never really took the time to think about it like this until today.  Maybe I can attribute this thought process to DC's Legends of Tommorrow and how one change in the time line of history affects everything and everyone else.  Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is this.  Although flies are irritating, they have a place in our ecosystem.  They are decomposers that take care of garbage and dead animals.  And it seems that they are helpful in the forensic field.  Plus they are food for bigger animals.  So as irritating as they can be, if they disappeared, it would leave a big, bad impact on our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment