Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Butterfly Cupcakes

We have most of our birthday celebrations in the spring here.  I asked the birthday girl what she wanted for her birthday, cake or cupcakes, flowers or butterflies or princess.  First, she had been asking for a Justin Bieber cake...well, I'm not that talented.  So these were the options I gave her and she settled on butterflies.  I saw cupcake liners that looked like flowers and was struck with an idea.  Bake the cupcakes in the flower liners and use the butterfly decorations to turn it into butterflies that were sitting on flowers.  I used a box mix for the cupcakes but made my own butter cream frosting, a recipe I've been using for a few years now.  I got the butterfly decorations, the pink gel  that I used for the butterfly body and the cupcake liners from Walmart, but they are by Wilton.  I missed taking pictures of the packages before using them.  Forgive me for being human, but this Momma will use products that can simplify making a birthday special for my kids when I also have to make sure that school happens for the non-birthday kids and meal times happen too.

 Here's the cupcake liners.




The butterflies resting on the light purple and pink flowers.








I filled a plastic zipper bag with the frosting and cut a bottom corner off to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.  Then I positioned the butterfly wings on the frosting.  Then I used the glitter gel to pipe the butterfly body.  They were a hit!  Thank you, Wilton, for making my life just a little bit easier!

2 comments:

  1. You ought to send these pictures and descriptions to Wilton. The cupcakes are cute even if I, your mother say so. I'll have to comment as annonymous because I don't know how to post a comment on this blog. Greg commented on facebook. I will too. Just me Annon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked at Wilton's site under Ideas, and they already have something similsr there. I didn't see it before I made my cupcakes though.

    ReplyDelete