Monday, April 30, 2012

My Review of The Hunger Games

I finally finished the first book in The Hunger Games Trilogy.  With life not stopping to give me time to read, it took a bit of time for me to finish.  I managed to get about two thirds of the way through the book before taking my oldest and six of her friends to see the movie.  As usual, the book was better, but the movie was pretty good too.  I like the way Katniss's narrative was portrayed through the behind the scenes at the Capitol.  There were some scenes in the book that didn't seem to be present as much in the movie.  But, considering that many times, they just don't have enough time to include all of a book in a movie, I think they stayed fairly true to the book.  There were a few details that were very different from the book and that frustrated the girls.

This poor girl, Katniss has a connection with two different boys that is based on a common life experience with each of them.  A connection that goes very deep in very different areas of her life.  Each boy has very admirable qualities.  They have each stood with her in horrible circumstances brought about by a brutal government. This leads me to say that it seems this series is a romantic political thriller.   At this point, I don't know how I want the story to go.  I can't even imagine where it's going to go, based on what I'm learning about this government and the president.  The government has too much control over it's people.  The president strikes me as sadistic.  It seems like the people who live in the capitol like the way things are.  And then there are the people that live in the "lower" districts that see that the government is too much of a "big brother".

I've been told that once I get going, the books will be hard to put down.  I'm already at that point.  I have to make sure, before I pick up the book to continue reading, that I won't have anything needing my attention before I can set the book down again.  I've found myself re-reading a few sentences when I've been interrupted, because I don't want to miss a detail.  So, if it seems like I'm missing from the blog, I'm not.  I may be engrossed in a book.  I'm sorry if that happens.  But I promise I'll be back to continue my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment