Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Southwest Hamburgers

I went to the fridge yesterday to see what I had available for dinner.  I had some ground beef that needed to be used soon and avocados that were ripe and needed to be used.   I also had tomatoes that needed to be used and some red onion.  I had a container of bread crumbs nearing expiration.  I had half a bunch of cilantro and bacon leftover from the 3/4 lb that I used to wrap the chicken legs.  The makings for Southwest Hamburgers! I made the guacamole recipe I had found on Pinterest, putting the 3 avocado pits back in to prevent oxidization, wrapped tightly with plastic wrap pressed to touching the surface and put it in the fridge.  When it came time to make dinner, here's what I did.

Southwest Hamburgers

Ingredients

2 lbs ground beef
2 eggs
1-2 Tablespoons of yellow mustard
2 - 4 Tablespoons of ketchup
Approx. 3/4 cups of breadcrumbs (I had Italian flavored and it was just fine)
Approx. 1/4 lb bacon
Guacamole
Sour cream
Extra ketchup and mustard for topping, if desired

Directions

Mix beef, eggs, yellow mustard, ketchup, and breadcrumbs gently, until well mixed without over mixing.  Shape into patties and make an indentation in the center.  Place in hot oiled or buttered pan and fry for approximately 8 minutes on each side.  While burgers are cooking, fry bacon in another pan.  Serve on your favorite buns and top with guacamole, sour cream, bacon and ketchup or mustard, if desired.

I threw some sweet potatoes fries in the oven while all this was cooking.


My 12-year-old son got a look at this as I was taking the picture and exclaimed, "oh my gosh!  That looks awesome!"  And then he proceeded to make one just like this for himself.  As he ate it he was gushing over it and he is already asking for it to be part of his birthday meal choices!  He said, "move over jambalaya!  Meet Mom's hamburgers!"  Funny boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment