Friday, April 13, 2012

Homemade Tartar Sauce

Yesterday was a busy day of moving laundry, clipping and organizing coupons, medicating sick children,managing children with no desire to clean their rooms, clogging practice...well it was just one of those days that I didn't get the pie crust made for the quiche I wanted to make and I was late getting the ham bone in the pot of water to make broth for ham soup.  It was a day for pulling the tilapia fish from the warehouse store out of the freezer.  But we were out of tartar sauce.  Time to look for a recipe. 

For this kind of thing I usually look at a few different recipes for ideas and get the gist and then do my own thing.  I had most of the ingredients on hand but had to wing it a bit.  Many of the recipes called for mayonnaise, relish, sweet or dill, chopped onion and sugar.  I didn't have any relish on hand, but I had sweet gherkins and I didn't feel like chopping up an onion so I used onion powder. 

Here's the approximates that I used.

Ingredients:

About 1 cup of mayonnaise
8 sweet gherkins, chopped
splash of pickle juice, to taste
1-2 tsp of onion powder
1 tsp sugar
salt, to taste

Mix well.  Probably a good idea to refrigerate, but it worked just fine at the last minute for me without refrigerating.  I'm going to try this again and actually chop up and onion and maybe purposely stock up on relish.  It was nice to have homemade tartar sauce and I like being able to throw something like this together when I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment