Friday, April 20, 2012

Skin Cancer Prevention - Foods That Help, Yes!

We all know that skin cancer is prevalent in our society today.  We also know that it is important to use sunscreen.  I know that many doctors have talked about Vitamin D3 as an important vitamin that our bodies seem to be lacking.  It makes me wonder, how much Vitamin D are we not getting from the sun due the need to use sunscreen?  I wonder how much of the increase in skin cancer has to do with the belief of tanning beds being safe?  Dermatologists are telling us that the tanning beds are not safe.  I have a few friends who have had to change their lifestyles due to skin cancer.  This has made me more aware of steps to take to help prevent skin cancer.

I've recently been trying to make sure that my family is getting their Vitamin D3, especially since it helps fight colds and may help with asthma.  As far as how often we actually use sunscreen, we make sure the kids are slathered when we know we are going to be poolside or out in direct sunlight.  My facial moisturizer has SPF of 15 and the foundation I am currently using has an SPF of 20.  I happened to slather my facial moisturizer this morning, because I didn't spend a fortune on it.  Truth be told, it made the foundation easier to apply too.

This was on the news this morning.






So if tomatoes and chocolate and coffee help to prevent skin cancer, I'm all for it!  The food that is, not the cancer.  I'll take tomatoes in soup, sandwiches, salads, drizzled with balsamic vinegar glaze, on a plate with a dollop of mayo and sprinkle of salt. I drink 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day (except during pregnancy).  I'll take chocolate anything!  I wonder if slathering chocolate on my skin would help?  Just kidding!  But you get the idea, right?  I won't complain about eating foods that may help prevent cancer, especially if they are yummy foods.

What are you doing to protect your health and the health of your loved ones?


No comments:

Post a Comment