Friday, March 30, 2012

Taco Salad, Homemade Guacamole and Homemade Tortillas

Last night we had Taco Salad for dinner.  It's a family favorite that I've made over the years.  Nothing really special, but different every time, depending on what I have hanging around here.  Sometimes I have iceberg lettuce, other times I have romaine lettuce and other times I may have bagged salad.  I always have taco meat, usually it's ground beef or ground venison or a combination of both.  Much, much less often I've had ground chicken or ground turkey.  Usually I have fresh tomatoes, although there have been a few times that I haven't and salsa or canned diced tomatoes have filled in.  Usually I have a Mexican blend of cheese, but cheddar works just as well.  When I've planned ahead, I chop some sweet gherkins to top our salads.  I know that sounds really odd, but don't knock it till you try it!  Only one of the bigger kids doesn't like it.  Usually we have some Doritos to either munch on the side or to crumble on top for the crunch that croutons give.  If I don't have Doritos around, I usually have some tortilla chips.  Sometimes we use taco sauce, sour cream, guacamole, red kidney beans.  I haven't had black beans, that I can remember, but now I'm considering adding that into the mix.  Usually we use ranch dressing or Catalina dressing.  Both are put out on the table.  If I don't have Catalina, sometimes I have another  honey french dressing or I'll make a french dressing recipe I found.  I usually keep ranch dressing in the house, because it is a standard favorite for most of the kids.  So, as you can see, the possibilities of variety are almost endless.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to try a recipe for guacamole that I found on Pinterest.  I made a few changes though, based on what I had on hand.

Here's my changes:

Ingredients:

3 Avocados
1 large shallot, chopped (approx. 1/4 c)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bunch of cilantro leaves, chopped (I actually had this because I bought it for another Indian dish)
1 tomato, diced
Approx 2 tsp of lime juice (I didn't have any fresh limes, but I had lime juice)
Sea salt, to taste
Fresh cracked pepper, to taste



Directions:

Pit avocados and mash in a bowl.

Carefully stir in remaining ingredients until well mixed.

A tip that a friend of mine gave me a couple years ago, is that if you leave at least 1 avocado pit in the guacamole, it helps to prevent oxidation.  It works!  So, that's why you see 2-2 avocado pits in the guacamole.

I really liked how this turned out and will definitely make it again.




I also tried a tortilla recipe that I found on Pinterest, but I don't like it as much as another recipe I've made before.  I need to make my old recipe again to compare.  I don't think any one liked the new recipe.  It called for olive oil instead of lard or shortening.  And the water wasn't hot, which apparently makes a big difference.  The taste of olive oil was overpowering, in my opinion.  So I'm not going to post that recipe.

Here's baby trying the tortilla with some guacamole smeared on it, with our friend getting in on the picture opportunity.  Silly Livy!


A little Mexican blend cheese sprinkled on top.  She likes grated cheese.



Enjoyed her bit of taco meat and seemed to be happy after dinner.



My dinner plate.  Missing a few things, but we had to eat and run, so I didn't have time to chop gherkins.  But, most importantly, I had the guacamole in there and it was good!




No comments:

Post a Comment