Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Stuffed Cabbage Stoup



I don't know about you, but I like a lot of Rachael Ray's recipes.  One I've done many times is her Stuffed Pepper Stoup.  After I had made it a few times, I realized I could probably change it up a bit and turn stuffed cabbage into Stuffed Cabbage Stoup.  It was a hit in my house for all but one child.  That makes it a keeper.  I've made it just as many times now too.  Here's what I do.  The haze in the pictures is the steam rising from the pot.



Ingredients:

2 T extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 1/2 lbs. ground meat - chicken, turkey or beef (I had ground venison on hand)
Salt and black pepper
1/2 - 1 palm full of paprika (now that I think of it, smoked paprika would probably be good)
4 cloves garlic, chopped (or pre-chopped garlic)
1 large onion (I had Vidalia), cut into bite-size dice.
1/2 head of cabbage, cored and cut into bite-size pieces
1 bay leaf
1 quart chicken stock
1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
1 cup orzo pasta
more paprika to taste
Grated Parmigiana Reggiano or your choice of grated cheese to top the servings.

Generously serves 4 (Serves my whole family of 8 with some leftovers)

Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat with the EVOO.  When the EVOO is hot, add ground meat and season with salt, black pepper and paprika.  Brown the meat for 5 minutes then add onion, cabbage, garlic and bay leaf and cook for 7 - 8 minutes, until tender.






Stir in stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil.  Add pasta and cook for 7 - 8 minutes.  Turn off heat and add more paprika, if desired.  Serve with grated cheese.







This is yet another meal that baby likes.  Because there is salt in the chicken stock, I don't add any extra right now so that baby can eat it with us.


And that is stuffed cabbage without all the work of making the filling, stuffing the cabbage leaves and rolling.  I get the taste of stuffed cabbage much quicker!

2 comments:

  1. now we are talking!!-- you are doing a great job with these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Thanks Bev! I was sure you were going to say something like that soon!

    ReplyDelete