Thursday, March 15, 2012

Anticipating St. Patrick's Day

This morning, my children woke up all excited about St. Patrick's Day. Why so early? Because tonight was the St. Patrick's Day party for their 4-H Clogging Club. There sre usually prizes for most shamrocks, wearing the most green, shiniest, most Leprechaun-like and such. I like to try to get clothing items for them after the holiday for the following year. I've done socks, hats, necklaces, suspenders and T-shirts. One year they had temporary tattoos of shamrocks. The families are also encouraged to bring green food for the snacks. And the last 45 minutes or so is dancing for fun, as well as a dance-off. It's a fun evening for them.

So this morning they woke up all excited and got their chosen clothes on. My 12-year-old son was even working his Irish accent. Honestly, he's pretty good with accents and imitations. I had remembered last night that this party was today and hadn't thought about what we were going to take to share for snacks. Pinterest and couponing to the rescue again! Grapes and cucumbers happen to be on sale at my store this week! There's the green healthy food. I found a recipe for 3-2-1 Funfetti Cake Batter Dip through Pinterest, which you can find here. I made it with the help of my 10-year-old assistant (daughter)and we colored it green. We served it with Mini Nilla Wafers, animal crackers and pretzel logs.




After tasting the dip tonight, there are a few changes I would make. I had the whipped cream in a can and I think I'd use the cool whip cream next time. I also used the plain yogurt, but will try vanilla yogurt next time. I'll try to remember to post how the changes taste.


My 12 year-old son won for most Leprechaun-like this year! We all had a good time tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment