Thursday, August 20, 2015

Why Turn the Other Cheek?

The other day I was talking with one of my dear friends.  She told me about something that had happened during the day.  Someone had said something that hurt.  It hurt her and it would have hurt me if I were in her shoes that day.  I empathized with her.  I wanted so badly to say something like "Let it Go," because my family just laughs after saying "Let it Go" because of the movie Frozen or "Shake It Off," because members of her family are fans of Taylor Swift.  But, something stopped me and instead, I said, "Give it to The Lord.  She just doesn't understand."  And then today, while I was wiping down the table after lunch, it hit me.

Years ago, when I was much, much younger, I always thought that turning the other cheek meant that you were allowing the offender to continue doing what they were doing.  Many people think it's a weak thing to do.  Matthew 6:38 - 39 says, "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person.  If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." So, not really understanding it, I tried to live it.  Verses 40 - 42 continue with, "And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well.  If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.  Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."  At first read it sounds like we should let them continue with their bad behavior, right?  Not quite.

In Luke 23:34, after Jesus had already been beaten and made to carry his cross to the place called the Skull, it says, "Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.'  And they divided up his clothes by casting lots."  He was asking for forgiveness for those who were crucifying Him.  But I think this is about more than just forgiveness.

In Romans 3:21 - 26 we find, "But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.  This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.  There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.  God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood.  He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished -- he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus."  Did you catch that?  Grace.

In James 4, verses 1 - 6 talks about what causes fights and quarrels.  And then we come to verse 6, "But he gives us more grace.  That is why Scripture says:  'God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.'"

Here's what I think now.  Jesus set the example. Turning the other cheek is not a weak thing to do.  It's humbling.  When we can turn the other cheek, bring our burden to God and forgive the other person, we humble ourselves and then we open ourselves up to receiving God's grace and then we are able to extend that grace to the one who hurt us.  It's all about God's grace.

1 comment: