Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chive Risotto Cakes





We have tried the Chive Risotto Cakes and they are really good! They require time sitting in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight. I chose overnight. That means that I prepped on Monday night. Oh did it smell insane mixing the ingredients together Monday night! I had each of my kids smell the mixture in anticipation, before putting it in the fridge! I unfortunately had about half to one-third of the chives called for in the mixture, due to a little curious one tipping the container of the rest of the chives on the floor that needs to be mopped. There was no rescuing that!


There are a few things I learned through this experience. Snipping chives with kitchen scissors works well for garnishing, but "mincing" this many chives really works better with a chef's knife!! I used the suggested amount of panko breadcrumbs, but needed to add more for my satisfaction. They sure make a nice crust! It is important to have the burner at medium-low, because if it's not hot enough, the crust won't develop right. If you have it too high, you'll burn the cakes and you don't want that either! So, just to clarify for you, medium-low is that one notch just above medium. I also learned that either my burner element has hot spots or it is not level. I had some cakes in each batch turn out beautiful, while at least one seemed a little under golden. Still, all in all, they were very good. My pickiest eater started and finished before the rest of us were sitting down at the table to start our meal together. I figure, if she eats it like that, it's a keeper recipe! My picture would have looked better if I had dressed it with the balsamic vinaigrette before taking the picture! I realized that after I had already started eating. If I had had some extra chives, I would have garnished with a dollop of Greek yogurt and two strips of chive draped across. I think it is better as a gourmet lunch than dinner though, so I'll probably make it again on a weekend for lunch.






We had strawberry shortcakes for dessert, using the recipe on the Bisquick box. YUM!

2 comments:

  1. Those shortcakes look Divine! Good job on the use of the hyperlink. Im glad you gave us the recipe- esp b/c its easy to make GF. I'll use my gf bread crumbs. AND I love chives! Do you grow them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried keeping a pot in the past, when the kids were younger and fewer. Haven't tried recently. I love chives on top of potato skins. I'll have to make them and blog about them too sometime. Let me know when you try the risotto cakes!

    ReplyDelete