Monday, April 12, 2010

Food Coloring and Colored Sugar

It's been too long since my last post. I will be spending the next few days trying to catch up.
We've been playing with coloring our food around here lately! Yes, playing with our food! Lorianne's birthday was last month and Clarissa wanted to make her cake. I ask the kids for a theme they are interested in for their birthdays (we keep celebrations small and pretty much in the family for my sanity) and do my best to find things with that theme. It's a little challenging, since we can't go to the bakery for the cake, so we do what we can. This time Lorianne wanted polka dots and stripes. Clarissa helped me pick out the plates and napkins. The cake was made and then came the time for the decorating of said cake. We did our best to match the colors of the plates and napkins with the frosting. Now, if you looked at the cake without the plates and napkins, it truly looked odd. But, we were amazed at how good the cake looked on the plates! We couldn't have done a better job matching the colors! This was Clarissa's first time decorating a cake freehand!














After playing with food coloring for Lorianne's birthday, I colored cookies for St. Patrick's Day! We had green sugar cookies with green sugar! I had been on a hunt for a sugar cookie recipe like this one for a while. We love the taste of the famous Lofthouse Cookies, but we can't buy them due to Courtney's nut allergy. I think I finally found a recipe that comes close enough for me! These cookies are sooo good, that they are bad!











I made the same sugar cookie recipe for Easter, separated the dough into two bowls and colored the dough in one bowl rose and the dough in the other bowl orange. I decided to bake the orange dough first and then use the same scoop for the rose colored dough. The result of doing that gave a few of the cookies a sherbet looking color! That was cool! Again, they were sooo good, that they were bad!






So, sometimes it's good to play with your food! It's got me thinking about making some edible play dough in the near future.

4 comments:

  1. Love all the colorful pictures of your food! My mother in-law is a firm believer in playing with your food in the true sense of the word. Once for an exercise in her "emerging women" group, we played with spaghetti. I even have spaghetti art from that night! Totally fun!

    I would love to make homemade peanut butter playdough. Can you pass along a simple recipe? I'm too lazy to google it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a book with lots of recipes. I'll send at least one to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I m looking at this food and thinking "yeah...not eating it."
    I have a book for kids on making homemde doughs of all kinds. Bets- did K give you the recipe you asked for???Lazy! You do it!!
    How neat it must be to hv a 'teen' a female in the house!!! to bake with and help out, and talk to...

    ReplyDelete