Friday, April 23, 2010

Is There Such a Thing as Food Lust??

I like to catch the shows on Food Network every now and then. There was a period of time that I watched it as much as possible (when we first got the channel). I haven't watched as much lately, because it got to a point where there were a lot of reruns. And then, kids grow up and need your attention more, because they actually hold conversations. Anyway, I caught a couple of shows the other day. Let me just say, they got me to lusting after the dishes they were making. Let me explain that a little more, lest someone think wrongly of me. I looked up the definition, because the definition I knew of was the sinful one we all know of. I wanted to make sure that there was another definition than that. And there is! According to my copy of the Third College Edition of Webster's New World Dictionary, it also means "intense enthusiasm; zest" and zest is defined as "keen enjoyment; gust". So, yes, I think there is such a thing as food lust and I don't necessarily think it is sinful. Unless it gets you into big trouble.



How would I describe it? Well, have you ever walked by a display case of food and felt your mouth start to water and you want to taste that food that is causing your mouth to water so much? Or, have you ever watched a cooking show as they assemble their creation and thought "man, I wish this television was smell-o-vision or taste-o-vision"? I mean, it looks sooo good, that you just have to have a taste! Yes? Well then, you know what I mean. As I watched these shows, I told my daughter that she needed to finish up on the computer so that I could print up these recipes. Let me clarify that I wasn't just idly sitting there watching, I was also correcting schoolwork or working on scheduling schoolwork.



So what are these dishes that got me salivating so bad? Well, Ina Garten was making Chive Risotto Cakes. Oh they looked so good! She served them with a simple salad. Paula Dean was making cookies for a cookie swap. All of them looked divine, but I can't make all of them since some of them had nut ingredients. However, I can make her Loaded Oatmeal Cookies and just eliminate the walnuts, maybe add a few more raisins or some craisins. The Neely's were making some good food too. The dish that caught my eye was their Cookies and Cream Cake. That just might be the next birthday cake we make here. Just so happens that I had to go to the grocery store that night. I picked up the supplies I didn't already have to make the Chive Risotto Cakes. I think I already have all the supplies for the Loaded Oatmeal Cookies and the Cookies and Cream Cake. I'll be working on these recipes soon and will try to post pictures of how mine come out.



So, I don't think that food lust is such a bad thing, as long as it doesn't get out of control. Let me know if you try any of the recipes!

2 comments:

  1. My mouth was salivating while I was reading. I definitely think there is such a thing as food lust. For me, my lust for certain things increased b/c I couldn't have it - I lust over pastries daily here in France. Literally, drool. My favorite thing lately that I'm eating too much of is an amazing gluten free chocolate chip cookie dough recipe that I put in the freezer and sneak a spoonful every now and then.

    Bets

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have a hard time living in France and not being able to eat those pastries! At least you can try the cheeses with your Lactaid!

    ReplyDelete